Thursday, April 27, 2006

Of Cows And Cities

We are forming opinions faster than we wanted. There is one neighborhood that really appeals to us. It has the "feel" of Old Istanbul without all the tourists that are on the European side. In our reading, we found that this area actually has the oldest indications of civilizations recorded in Turkey...4000BC-6000BC. A sidenote to the eggheads...I realize that there is a lot you could do to enlighten me at this point...just give it a rest, Ok?

A Street In Kadikoy


We were able to track down a language school on this side of the City. It looks like we may start full time studies on Monday. This would be Mon-Fri for the next 4 weeks for all of us...they break for the summer. So, after a month of what I perceive as a really difficult time (I had another word for it, but discretion won out) we would be able to clear our minds before starting up again in September.

If you are of a sensitive nature to the language of our day (which is not a bad thing) then stop reading here: Really, this is your warning to stop and leave refreshed and not damaged. (I am still really immature and laugh at things I shouldn't...Like that's news to you).
Today we were in a taxi coming home...traffic was bad, the busses were so full they wouldn't stop, and the kids were "walked out". The driver spoke a few words of English. He asked me where we were from...which is always a difficult one to answer..."Oregon? Los Angeles? San Diego?"....this time I chose the most easily identifiable on a global scale and said "LA".
He rolled his eyes and said "Istanbul and Los Angeles...they are all bhollsha-heytey...all about money and bhollsha-heytey". It took me awhile to decipher it all. Ah, the genes our fathers pass onto us huh? I am still laughing. Sorry about that...I know I am not a good model.

Tulips Blooming At Sultanahmet

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the post! I laughed so hard last night when looking at it that Wes and Leona wanted to know what was so funny.
Love and miss ya,
B

Living, Traveling, and Wandering on the Far Side of the World

Living, Traveling, and Wandering on the Far Side of the World