Tuesday, September 12, 2006

The World at My Feet

It seems cartography is not in my blood. One of my dearest friends from years gone by is a mapmaker extraordinaire…he owns a Southern California aerial mapping company and even though I have spent thousands of hours with him in our 23 year friendship…none of it has rubbed off on me.

It's a Small World...afterall (Sorry Walt)

Today I accepted the fact that I was going to have to spend money on a wall map instead of trying to make one from hundreds of individual aerial photographs. With the scale and perspective varying from set to set…it was impossible to maintain any form of cartographic integrity. If we can’t use it to chart our travels on the SRE07…it is no use to us. So, after awakening to find our masterpiece on the floor again (humidity and adhesive issues) I took it as a sign to shift gears and we tossed it.
The hunt is now on for a specialized wall map of Asia…it seems that the ones that meet our needs are all produced in the States and are expensive. As of today, I have not found a company willing to ship one to our corner of Asia.

No comments:

Living, Traveling, and Wandering on the Far Side of the World

Living, Traveling, and Wandering on the Far Side of the World