Thursday, May 25, 2006

Trash, Toilets, and Losers

Its "melt your chocolate" weather here in Istanbul. Yeah, I know....we're "San Diego lightweights" when it comes to the heat. If you think that is sad, I have a friend that actually thinks Chicago is America's finest city (that's what happens when you spend too much time indoors kids). For what its worth...Summer has "lit" here in Istanbul.
We have found an apartment to call home. Our move date is late July/early August...it's nice having that issue settled. The apartment is closer to the center of the City and about a 40 minute walk to language school. After the current tenants leave in July, it will need some remodel work, putting us into it mid-summer.













For Those With Sophisticated Palates

Our language skills are progressing: I ordered a drink the other day and got onion rings with it. I didn't know whether to thank them for the gift or reorder. Elle found some toilet paper yesterday called "Yumy".....(MMMmmmmm makes you hungry and wanting a bathroom all at the same time, huh)?

Moving from toilets to trash now. I was drinking tea at a market yesterday when I heard American Music playing over the tea garden's speakers. The words were in English and were surprisingly coarse and explicit. I am no novice when it comes to dockyard language...but these words and the content and theme were filthy and degrading. I have spent many years in locker rooms and among Alpha M's...but I have never heard this type of dialogue. Yet here I was, on the other side of the World and music from my country is blaring in all its brazenness to the ear of adult and child without discretion. I know that this music isn't "Main Stream America"...but they don't. They hear a beat that is catchy and they play it without knowing its translation. And we wonder why our words and actions are not held in high regard among these people of Central Eurasia?
I needed the Rant time: It was either this or the Callous and Conceited Everest Climbers that were on the docket for today. That one will have to wait...I'll need more medication before we talk about those losers...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on finding an apartment!

JF

Anonymous said...

How exciting that you have your apartment! Good for you! I was just thinking about that yesterday. I'm glad to hear it.

Anonymous said...

We've been thinking about your appartment need so much lately. What a blessing that you have found one. We love you!

Living, Traveling, and Wandering on the Far Side of the World

Living, Traveling, and Wandering on the Far Side of the World