Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Eileen or Irene?

I was sitting in language class this last week when I had a rogue thought: Wouldn't it be a bummer to learn how to speak a new language...and then discover that your language teacher had a lisp?
Those thoughts were floating by as we were repeating phrases that our kind teacher was pronouncing for us. Thankfully, he doesn't have a speech impediment...but it makes you think.
Those are the types of thoughts that keep me awake at night. This has been a rough week for sleeping. Since I am not an "easy sleeper"...getting 4 hours a night puts me in pretty good shape, but even that goal has been elusive lately. On the other hand...it has resulted (at least partly) in a great weight loss program. Our last 12 months in the States saw me become a corpulent, middle aged, wanderer...too young to be a "real hippie" and too old to stay in a hostel. I was stubborn and refused to buy the next size up as we gathered our gear for this move.
Now, in just the last 4 weeks I have lost 10 pounds. Just think...all I need to do is grow 4 inches taller or lose another 40lbs and I will be able to find my "height/weight ratio" on that little brochure the doctor gave me. I may not be in the "ideal" column...but I will be able to point to the pink warning column and find my numbers! After all...my dad has proven that as long as you get to the hospital in time...you never have to modify your diet.

Back On The Water Today

No comments:

Living, Traveling, and Wandering on the Far Side of the World

Living, Traveling, and Wandering on the Far Side of the World