Friday, April 14, 2006

Meeting In Damascus

The Old City Of Damascus...The Prophet Muhummad (pbuh) When Standing On The Border Of Damascus said, "With One Chance To Visit Paradise, I Will Wait Until Heaven". He Never Entered The City.


Samer's Mosque In Damascus

Tonight I said "goodbye" to my Syrian friend Samer. He works the graveyard shift at the local gas station and we have a good history and friendship. Those of you who have followed Samer's story from our writings will remember that he came to the States with his family a few years ago to try and make a living. But the secularism they found in Los Angeles drove his wife and children back to Damascus. He said "I want my children to know Allah". They left for home, while he stayed behind. So, he works a half a World away to provide for them.

Today, Samer works two jobs, 16-20 hours a day, to send money to his wife and children, so they can eat and live. He has become a dear friend and many times I have waited till 2 or 3am so I could visit him while he works.
We have a tentative meeting in Damascus this fall. He and his wife want to spend some time with us, if they cannot make it to Istanbul during his visit home, we will travel to Syria to meet with them.

No comments:

Living, Traveling, and Wandering on the Far Side of the World

Living, Traveling, and Wandering on the Far Side of the World