Saturday, March 22, 2008

The Good, Bad and Ugly

Being the bum that I am I spend a lot of time hanging with the locals in our little village of Kazasker within Istanbul. My best buds are Levent and Kemal…the three of us form a crew whose humor isn’t always appreciated by our wives and the other encumbrances with which we are blessed.
These compadres of mine are no angels, but when things go south…there is no one else I would rather have watching my back. There are some downsides to being linked at the hip with these two. These were the guys who first taught me to navigate the language, unfortunately for my neighbors; They had great fun at my expense...I could cuss like a dock worker in Turkish before I could order a Coke. I learned that when they put on their teaching faces to tutor me with new phrases in Turkish…I had better run them past a few dictionaries before trying them out on my neighbors.
Unbeknownst to me, using a phrase they had taught me, I had been telling the local grocer that he had a big _ _ _ for weeks before someone pulled me aside and agreed that while the grocer did indeed have a large rear-end…it wasn’t polite to tell him. Now who would do something like that to a likable guy like me?
I had thought I was simply giving a kind greeting to him each time I passed by. I don’t shop there much anymore.
Kemal

Levent

If I can break free from my incredibly busy schedule of holding up the wall we sit on, and the planning of our upcoming SRE08, I am going to get my act together and feature my posse soon in our Threads section.
For now we will leave it up to you to figure out who is going to be the Good, Bad and Ugly of this gang.My Posse

No comments:

Living, Traveling, and Wandering on the Far Side of the World

Living, Traveling, and Wandering on the Far Side of the World