Saturday, June 03, 2006

Clearing The Air

After the vigorous response to yesterday's posting on the Turkish Toilet I thought we would clear the air today and move in a new direction. Today we had an interview with a Cappadocian friend of mine who owns a rug shop in Sultanahmet. I have been working on a column featuring Ahmet which is due in a few weeks. Once again we were treated like royalty...which is to be expected in any Turkish shop.
While Ahmet and I talked, Ann and the kids were treated to drinks and looked at their pottery offerings. Ahmet invited me to travel to Cappadocia with him tomorrow for a week in his home town. Sadly, I declined due to existing commitments.

Gulhane Park

After leaving the shop we headed around the corner and into Gulhane Park. This was the private garden of the Sultans of the Ottoman Empire until the 1920's. Today it is a hot spot for weekend walks and picnics. Tonight it was enchanting. We finished up with tea overlooking the water...missed the last ferry (again) to Kadikoy and ended up back in Asia a bit north of where we wanted to be. At midnight,its 84 degrees indoors, the streets are still full of people, the windows are open, and the breeze has finally picked up.


The Çai Garden Overlookıng The Bosphorus

Across The Water To Home

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Does Turkey have a slow-paced lifestyle? In San Diego, it is fast-paced. Everyone is always in such a hurry. When I visit my family in Georgia, I enjoy the slow-paced lifestyle.

My husband has been talking a lot about customer service. It sounds like the Turks know how to treat people.

Take care,
JF

Living, Traveling, and Wandering on the Far Side of the World

Living, Traveling, and Wandering on the Far Side of the World