Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Turkish Comedy

Merhaba! Nasilsin?....Oh I'm sorry. You must not know the language of the Near East?
(I love that part!)
I picked up a book awhile back titled, "How To Speak Turkish In 7 Days". I had planned on reading it...twice...and then, as a Turkish language expert, offer classes to support us on our odyssey. Well...the best laid plans,huh? So we ended up in traditional Language School yesterday forking out lots of Lira. (I am still trying to get my 5 bucks back for that book).
Language school went well yesterday. I don't quite know if I am really learning or just linguistically and culturally confused...but I "feel" different. After just a few hours in class I now look at the City of Istanbul through a different lens. Its almost as if the experience of sitting with Turks and practicing foreign words and phrases has made me feel as if we are really a part of the City. Sounds goofy? I know.
So, I tried my Turkish on some visitors today...they looked at me, at each other and then, with tea "spewing" out of their mouths, rolled into fits of laughter. I have no idea what I said...but I guess I'm the guy to ask to keep the Hookah party lively.
Back to the books...I want to be funny again tomorrow.

No comments:

Living, Traveling, and Wandering on the Far Side of the World

Living, Traveling, and Wandering on the Far Side of the World